We are always on the lookout for volunteers to help make each Almost Home Kids feel like home. Individual volunteers, volunteer groups and the community make a difference allowing Almost Home Kids to provide a better quality of life for children who are medically complex, and their families. Volunteers are an integral part of the daily functioning of Almost Home Kids and we always welcome individuals who would like to be a Recreational Volunteer with the children as well as volunteer groups to our home!
Volunteer Opportunities Include:
- Recreational Activities with the Children – Opportunities are available 7 days a week
- Administrative Tasks – NAPERVILLE & PEORIA – Opportunities are available on an as-needed basis
- Gardening/Yard Work Tasks in NAPERVILLE & PEORIA
- Coordinating of Fundraising Events benefiting Almost Home Kids
- Coordinating Donation Drives benefiting Almost Home Kids
- Event Support Volunteer
- Corporate Volunteer Days
Recreational Volunteers engage the children with play activities such as reading, puzzles, sensory toys or simply holding a baby. It is important you feel you would be comfortable volunteering with a child who has complex medical needs. We require a volunteer commitment of a minimum of 4 volunteer hours every month for the 4-5 month time period following your Orientation. If you are interested in becoming a Recreational Volunteer with the children here are the guidelines:
- Volunteers need to complete an online application & then will be invited to register and attend the next available monthly Volunteer Orientation
- Volunteers need to be able to commit to a minimum of 4 hours per month in the 4- 5 month time period following your Orientation*
- Volunteers need to submit a printed COLOR copy of a photo ID
- Volunteers must be at least 16 years of age to be a Recreational Volunteer
- Volunteers need to be up to date with all vaccinations
- Volunteers need to submit documentation of a TB test (administered within last 12 months)
- Volunteers need to submit documentation of a seasonal Flu shot during the Flu season months of October – April
- Volunteers 18 years old and older will be asked to complete a Background Check form at Orientation
- Volunteer shifts are available 7-days a week from 10am to 7pm
- Volunteers will choose their own 1 to 2 hour shifts based on calendar availability each week
- AHK is not an appropriate site for court mandated service hours
- A Note for Students: If you are volunteering to meet a class requirement or are a Service Learning Student, the process is the same and you must attend an orientation. Contracts or other paperwork requiring a signature cannot be signed prior to the volunteer attending an orientation.
The first step to becoming a volunteer is to complete the online NEW CHICAGO & NAPERVILLE VOLUNTEER APPLICATION FORM or PEORIA VOLUNTEER APPLICATION. Once your application is approved and you have confirmed your documentation is up to date for your TB & Flu (during Flu season) ~ you will be invited by the Community Outreach Coordinator; Lisa Snow via email, to register for the next available Volunteer Orientation. However, please note we invite volunteers in order of submission of their application and it can take several weeks to get through this process.
Orientations are typically held once a month at each location on Thursdays & are approximately 1.5 hours in length. They do fill up quickly because we limit the number to 12 in attendance. Please be sure and indicate in your email which location you are applying for.