What We Do
At Almost Home Kids, our mission is to provide transitional care in a home-like setting to children with complicated health needs, training for their families and respite care.
Almost Home Kids is a short-term community based pediatric healthcare facility that brings together Medical Professionals, Recreational Volunteers, Community Providers, Sponsors, Donors, Friends, Corporate and Civic Partners. AHK is licensed by the Department of Public Health.
Almost Home Kids envisions opening new facilities to service the needs of children with complex medical conditions and their families in other communities throughout the country.
Almost Home Kids envisions the presence of new facilities to service the needs of children with complex medical conditions and their families in their own communities throughout the country.
Our Proven transitional care model, consulting methodology and expertise significantly improves the likelihood of program sustainability and successful implementation.
If you are interested in learning more about our expansion plans, or consulting services and would like to talk to us about bringing Almost Home Kids to your area, please email Deborah A. Grisko, AHK President & Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (630) 786-1750.
Board of Directors
Almost Home Kids would like to acknowledge the dedicated individuals who serve on our board in Naperville and in Chicago. Their work and involvement makes an immeasurable difference in the lives of the children we serve, and their families.
Board of Directors
Josh Prangley, Chair
JP Morgan, Executive Director, Investment Banking
Theresa Danko, Vice Chair
Stantec, Senior Vice President, Business Development
Michael Hoffman, MD
Elmhurst Clinic, Pediatrician
Assurance, Vice President
Richard Mark, Retired
Centerpoint Properties, Senior Vice President, Special Projects
Neuco, Inc., Chairman
Former Chief Financial Officer, Lurie Children’s
Rose Phillips, Co-Owner
Grant Thornton, Partner
Lurie Children’s, Chief Patient Care Services Officer/Chief Nurse Executive
Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago, Controller
Marita Sullivan, Chief Executive Officer (Retired)
JMG Financial Group, Ltd
AHK President’s Council
Cabrera Capital Markets, Principal
Grant Thornton, Director
Clune Construction, Senior Vice President
Instinet, LLC, Executive Vice President
Goldberg Executive Coaching, President
Karen R. Goodman+
Taft, Stettinius & Hollister LLP, Partner
Beam Suntory, Director Global FP&A
Michael Hoffman, MD+
Elmhurst Clinic, Pediatrician
Adjoy, Vice President, Brand Partnerships
Continental Automotive, Senior Staff Engineer
Ann Karch, MD+
Assurance, Vice President
Naperville Gala Past Chair
PricewaterhouseCoopers, Partner, Advisory – Forensics & Litigation Services
Neuco, Inc., Chairman
Water Street Healthcare Partners, Vice President
Teresa Solis Pedroza
Village Bank and Trust, Vice Chairman of the Board
Corboy & Demetrio, Partner
Prescient Solutions, Sales Manager
JMG Financial, Principal
Hotel InterContinental, Director of Finance
Naperville Gala Chair
+ designates service in Naperville
* designates service in Chicago
The Young Associates Board (YAB) is comprised of young professionals in the Chicagoland area dedicated to strengthening the message of Almost Home Kids through awareness and fundraising events. Throughout the year, the Board holds meetings, social outings and participates in community activities to support the mission of Almost Home Kids.
The YAB Executive Board consists of three permanent officers: Chair, Vice Chair and Secretary. Additional spots are reserved on the Executive Board for Committee Chairpersons and the Event Chair. We recently had a change of leadership, as Allison Cipolla stepped down as Chair – We are very grateful to Allison and her excellent Board, including Hannah Evans, as they brought in new members and hosted two incredibly successful fundraisers “No Place Like Home”
Please welcome the following individuals into their new leadership roles! These individuals were selected based on their continued advocacy and dedication to the AHK mission. Each has shown a high level of commitment to advancing the impact of YAB and increasing general awareness in their respective personal and professional networks.
Chair: Roxana Gavriliuc
Vice Chair: Mo Crinion
Secretary: Nazanin Salehitezangi
for more information on how to get involved please contact Nazanin at: email@example.com
How to Help
There are many ways to help Almost Home Kids with our mission to enhance the lives of children facing serious and ongoing medical challenges.
Online donations help us keep our administrative expenses to a minimum, since there would be no need for a letter of receipt, envelope and postage. Of course, you may make your gift any way to feel comfortable. Many of our supporters simply write a check, made payable to Almost Home Kids, and mail it to us:
Almost Home Kids
ATTN: Development Dept.
7 S. 721 Route 53
Naperville, IL 60540
Attend an Event
Attend an Event!
Shake, Rattle & Roll!
April 20, 2018 6:30 PM – Midnight
Embassy Suites in Naperville (near Freedom Parkway/Diehl Road)
No Place Like Home – annual YAB fundraiser
May 11, 2018 6:30 pm – 9:30 pm
Apogee, 2 W Erie St, Chicago, IL 60654
For more information on any of our events, please email Liza Larsen at firstname.lastname@example.org
“Volunteering at Almost Home Kids has been such a positive experience for me. In fact, I sometimes wonder who has more fun – me or the kids?!” Nikola Dukic (AHK Volunteer)
THANK YOU for your interest in volunteering at Almost Home Kids. Individual volunteers, volunteer groups and the community make a difference allowing Almost Home Kids to provide a better quality of life for children who are medically complex, and their families. Volunteers are an integral part of the daily functioning of Almost Home Kids and we always welcome individuals who would like to be a Recreational Volunteer with the children as well as volunteer groups to our home!
Volunteer Opportunities Include:
- Recreational Activities with the Children – Opportunities are available 7 days a week
- Administrative Tasks – NAPERVILLE – Opportunities are available on an as-needed basis
- Gardening/Yard Work Tasks in NAPERVILLE
- Coordinating of Fundraising Events benefiting Almost Home Kids
- Coordinating Donation Drives benefiting Almost Home Kids
- Event Support Volunteer
- Corporate Volunteer Days
Recreational Volunteers engage the children with play activities such as reading, puzzles, sensory toys or simply holding a baby. It is important you feel you would be comfortable volunteering with a child who has complex medical needs. We require a volunteer commitment of a minimum of 4 volunteer hours every month for the 4-5 month time period following your Orientation. If you are interested in becoming a Recreational Volunteer with the children here are the guidelines:
- Volunteers need to complete an online application & then will be invited to register and attend the next available monthly Volunteer Orientation
- Volunteers need to be able to commit to a minimum of 4 hours per month in the 4- 5 month time period following your Orientation*
- *College students looking to volunteer over the summer must follow the same application process & would need to commit to a minimum of 20 volunteer hours over the summer
- Volunteers need to submit a printed COLOR copy of a photo ID
- Volunteers must be at least 16 years of age to be a Recreational Volunteer
- Volunteers need to be up to date with all vaccinations
- Volunteers need to submit documentation of a TB test (administered within last 12 months)
- Volunteers need to submit documentation of a seasonal Flu shot during the Flu season months of October – April
- Volunteers 18 years old and older will be asked to complete a Background Check form at Orientation
- Volunteer shifts are available 7-days a week from 10am to 7pm
- Volunteers will choose their own 1 to 2 hour shifts based on calendar availability.
- AHK is not an appropriate site for court mandated service hours
- A Note for Students: If you are volunteering to meet a class requirement or are a Service Learning Student, the process is the same and you must attend an orientation. Contracts or other paperwork requiring a signature cannot be signed prior to the volunteer attending an orientation.
The first step to becoming a volunteer is to complete the online NEW VOLUNTEER APPLICATION FORM by clicking on the link below. Once your application is approved and you have confirmed your documentation is up to date for your TB & Flu ~ you will be invited by the Community Outreach Coordinator; Lisa Snow via email, to register for the next available Volunteer Orientation. However, please note we invite volunteers in order of submission of their application and it can take several weeks to get through this process. Please send a follow up email to email@example.com once you have submitted your application & have your TB & Flu documentation ready.
Orientations are typically held once a month at each location on Thursdays and they do fill up quickly because we limit the number to 12 in attendance. Please be sure and indicate in your email which location you are applying for.
NAPERVILLE Orientation Information: The next Orientation will be on Thursday, May 31st, 2018 in the late afternoon. Please click below on the heading NEW VOLUNTEER APPLICATION FORM now to begin the process of joining our Volunteer Program!
CHICAGO Orientation Information: The next Orientation will be on Thursday, April 26th over the ‘lunch hour’. Please click below on the heading NEW VOLUNTEER APPLICATION FORM to begin the process of joining our Volunteer Program!
THANK YOU for partnering with Almost Home Kids to support the children and families we serve! Volunteers are so essential to our mission! If you have questions ~ you can email Lisa Snow at firstname.lastname@example.org
TO COMPLETE AN APPLICATION FORM CLICK BELOW:
AFTER COMPLETION OF VOLUNTEER ORIENTATION ~ YOU RECEIVE AN EMAIL INDICATING YOU ARE ‘ACTIVE’~ YOU WILL THEN CLICK BELOW IN THE BOX TO START SIGNING UP FOR SHIFTS:
Donating supplies is an outstanding way to help Almost Home Kids. Whether you donate supplies or organize a drive to collect items, the final result helps the children at Almost Home Kids. Please contact Lisa Snow for more information: email@example.com
AHK General Wish List:
- Gift Cards in any amount to help purchase general supplies (American Express, Visa, MasterCard or IKEA gift cards)
- Metra/Ventra prepaid cards
- $25 Gas Cards (Shell, BP etc.) for parents to help with travel expenses
- First Class Postage Stamps
- MS Surface Pro (one for each site, for visitor and volunteer check-in)
- Various office supplies such as pens, file folders & paper
Children’s Supplies Wish List: (items must be new please)
- Baby wipes (unscented or for sensitive skin)
- Desitin (tubes)
- Wrist rattles and Foot/Ankle rattles
- Crib sheets
- Light and Sound Mobiles
- Crib Light & Sound music boxes
- Formula containers – Rubbermaid Mixer Mate / 1 qt and 1 pint size
- Batteries for toys (AA, AAA, C & D)
- Boppy cushions and covers
- Graco Sweet Slumber Sound Machine
House Supplies Wish List:
- Gift Cards in any amount to help purchase house supplies (Target, Walgreens, IKEA & Home Depot)
- Laundry detergent – ‘All Ultra Free Clear liquid’ brand
- Ivory Soap liquid detergent
- K-Cup Coffee packs (for clinical staff, family members & guests)
- Glad rectangle 8 Cups/64oz containers with lids
- Rubbermaid Storage Bins, (18 gallon, for storage of clothes, blankets, etc.)
- Full Sized Boxes of Kleenex (30-40 boxes are used each month)
- Bath towels (large) and washcloths
- Hand Sanitizer (travel size with cap/2 oz and 12 oz)
- Paper Towels
Almost Home Kids is a 501(c)(3) registered not-for-profit corporation.
- Gifts of Appreciated Stock
- Charitable Bequests
- Legacy Society
- Insurance Gifts
- Gifts of Stock
- Gifts of Retirement Plan Assets
- Gifts of Appreciated Stock
Make a contribution of marketable securities to Almost Home Kids by providing your broker or financial institution with the following information:
- The Name of Stock (i.e. Apple, Google, UPS, etc.)
- The Number of Shares
- Our Brokerage Account Number is: NT2121857
Your financial institution can make a transfer directly into our secure account.
Please alert the Development Office when you make such a transfer. Contact Raeann Jackson at (312) 282-7081 or rjackson@AlmostHomeKids.org.
Your will is a written testimony of your concern for family and loved ones. It is a way to show others what you value in life, being most generous with the people and organizations that matter the most to you. Making a gift to charity in your will is very flexible – because you are not actually making a gift until after your lifetime, you can change your will at any time. It is also one of the most beneficial ways to give because, if your estate is subject to estate tax, your gift is entitled to an estate tax charitable deduction for the gift’s full value.
There are a number of ways to include a favorite charity in your will. Including a gift to Almost Home Kids in your will can be done by the following language:
“I give to Almost Home Kids, 7 S. 721 Route 53, Naperville, IL 60540, the sum of (a specified dollar amount) or (percentage) of the residue of my estate to be used at the discretion of its Board of Directors.”
This is the easiest and most popular way. It is also the most useful type of gift, as it allows Almost Home Kids’ Board of Directors to determine the wisest and most pressing need for the funds at the time of receipt. You can specify how the funds are to be used. Perhaps you have a special purpose or project in mind. If so, it’s best to consult the Development Office when you make your will to be certain your intent can be carried out.
For more information about including Almost Home Kids in your will, please contact the Planned Gift Officer at (312) 282-7081
Almost Home Kids’ Legacy Society
The Legacy Society honors those people who have made a deferred gift provision for Almost Home Kids such as a gift via will, trust or life insurance. This is an honorary society that encourages others to plan their gifts to charity. Making a planned gift will often permit you to make a much larger contribution than might otherwise be possible as an outright gift. A planned gift in any amount is recognized by the Almost Home Kids’ Legacy Society.
When you let us know that you have made a planned gift, you will be enrolled as a member of the Almost Home Kids’ Legacy Society. With your permission, you will be:
- Acknowledged in the annual report and/or bi-annual newsletter.
- Invited to the annual meeting and other special event activities.
- Honored at an annual brunch amongst your peers.
Your gift to Almost Home Kids benefits you… and the children and families receiving care. For additional information or questions call (312) 282-7081
Gifts of Retirement Plan Assets
Do you have money saved in a retirement plan such as a 401k, 403b, IRA or tax-sheltered annuity? Each of these retirement plans contains income that has yet to be taxed. Following your death, your beneficiaries will owe the income tax on your retirement plans, totaling up to 39 percent. If your estate is subject to estate taxes, your retirement plans may be further depleted by costly estate taxes. In contrast, Almost Home Kids, a non-profit, tax-exempt organization, is eligible to receive the full amount of your retirement plans, bypassing these taxes.
Consider these gift options for your retirement plans:
- Designate Almost Home Kids as the primary beneficiary for a percentage (1 to 100 percent) of one or more of your retirement plans.
- Designate a specific amount to be paid to Almost Home Kids before the remainder is divided among family beneficiaries.
- Make Almost Home Kids the contingent beneficiary, to receive your retirement plans only if your primary beneficiary does not survive you.
The information on this site is not intended as legal advice. For legal advice, please consult an attorney.
Other Ways to Give
Fun with a Purpose
As part of the ongoing cost to run our non-profit, our new 6th floor space in Chicago at 211 E. Grand costs us over $17,000 per month. To help our cause, you and your friends or co-workers could host a tax-deductible fundraising event, help our kids and have a great teambuilding experience in the process. Please contact Judith McLean if you are able to help out in this way: firstname.lastname@example.org or at (312) 399-0013
Donate your Miles or Points!
A great way to give is to donate your miles or points to Almost Home Kids! They will help us secure silent auction items or miles for trips that we have been given to auction off that we can use at our Gala events. Please contact Judith McLean if you are able to help out in this way: email@example.com or at (312) 399-0013
Party with a Purpose
Whether you are hosting a party and you have asked your guests to bring a gift to benefit Almost Home Kids, or you are planning a party with a purpose to benefit AHK, we are pleased to provide the guidance and tools that you will need for a successful event. Please contact Judith McLean if you are able to help out in this way: firstname.lastname@example.org or at (312) 399-0013
Create Your Own Fundraising Page
Celebrating a milestone, running in a marathon or coordinating a league event? Celebrate and support Almost Home Kids with your own fundraising page. First Giving allows you to set a goal, share your story and track your progress, and AHK can work with you to create an online fundraising page and help get the word out to friends and family to support your efforts and the kids at AHK at the same time. Please contact Liza Larsen at email@example.com or at (630) 786-1763
Hosting a Jeans Day is when a work day is designated (usually a Friday) to allow colleagues to pay $5 into a general fund for the privilege of wearing jeans to work on that day (or days) – the money collected is then donated directly to AHK. Please contact Liza Larsen at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (630) 786-1763 if you think your company would be interested in this fun and easy fundraising effort.
Questions regarding Clinical Career Opportunities can be directed to:
April Alexander, MBA, BSN, RN
Director of Nursing
T: 630.786.1751 F: 630-271-9186
All other inquiries should be directed to:
Director of Operations
T: (630)271-9155 extension 131